The Princess Is In

Thursday, April 27, 2006

Why Do I Scrapbook...

The scrapbooking "community" is a large one. And, like any community, there are cliques and celebrities and playing favorites and trend setters and on and on. And I see people get caught up in it all. Their focus becomes Getting Published. Using only the "hot right now" products. The biggest name brands. Keeping up with the Joneses. Following every trend. They scrap in order to submit... or so it seems. Thankfully, I have avoided that. Yes, I can be a name brand scrapper... yes, I have my favorite product lines... but I know why I scrapbook. And it's not to get recognition or to get published. I scrapbook for sheer enjoyment. For the absolute pleasure of it. I love being creative and this is my outlet. I love presenting photos... visual memories... in a way that's fun and interesting and as simple or as elaborate as I want. How many people see my layouts? Not many. My husband, my sister, the people at my monthly Book of Me class, my online scrappy friends. But that's okay because they are for ME. I do this for ME. Who am I going to leave these scrapbooks to when I am gone? That seems to be a dominating force behind why people scrapbook. "To preserve memories for future generations." Are someone else's memories more important because they have children? Who will I leave these books to? I have no children. To me, it's not about leaving these behind... it's about enjoying it now. And I do. I enjoy every little thing about it.

5 Comments:

Blogger Bobbie said...

I agree completely. I have no desire to be published! Sometimes I feel we are in the minority. LOL

I also scrap for me. Hopefully my daughter will appreciate my scrapbooks when she is older. But in the end I scrapbook because I enjoy it!!

4:38 PM  
Blogger Cami said...

Tanya, I hope your not feeling bad or that your scrapping has less meaning. I think you are an awesome scrapper. I've adopted a new motto that works for me: "There is no WRONG way to scrapbook!" If Suzie So&So, scraps to get published...that's her way.
If you scrap for you, that's your way. If I scrap partly to leave something meaningful to my daughter & party because I'm addicted to buying pretty scrappy stuff & therefore have to use it.....well then, that's my way :D
Scrappy Smiles! Cami

11:09 PM  
Blogger Shirley said...

I scrap for me, too!!! Rich and I have no children either. So I scrap to enjoy the memories of the photos I have taken or received throughout the years. At times, Rich and I will take out the albums and look through them. We talk about our memories.

2:02 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I think that was a great way to put it.. I agree with everything you said there.. Great post!

1:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

[url=http://altmedschool.com/]alternative medicine college India[/url]
[url=http://altmedschool.com/]complementary and alternative medicine degree[/url]
[url=http://altmededu.com/]alternative medicine institute India[/url]
[url=http://www.altmedschool.com/]national institute of alternative medicine[/url]

2:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home