The Princess Is In

Friday, June 16, 2006

Phil and Libby

For those that know me (or have read certain blog entries), you know that I am quite close to my (3) bosses. They are wonderful men, I've been to their homes, we have great relationships. My boss, Phil, is an amazing man. He is a retired Navy Captain who accomplished some pretty incredible things during his Naval career. I respect him and think the world of him. For the past 2 years his sister Libby has been battling cancer. At age 54 she is the "baby" of the family. Libby went through surgery, chemotherapy, countless medications and treatments... and all the while maintained the most positive, upbeat attitude. She was an absolute rock. She was the one encouraging the rest of her family and admonishing them to stay positive. Over the past several months, the prognosis grew bleak and it has been a steady decline over the the last few weeks. Libby passed away at her home in Mississippi Wednesday morning. Phil received the call while we were at the office and, while is was not unexpected, it was still heartbreaking. He was in a daze as he sat at his desk and began to make the calls to family and friends. Today he is in Mississippi preparing for the funeral tomorrow. My heart is with him... not as an employee, but as a friend.

I was reading a friend's blog today and there was an entry about attitude and perception. It hit home with me and I immediately thought of Libby. This lady, despite what she was dealing with on a daily basis, possessed an attitude that was inspiring. Libby is very much in my thoughts today. I never had the opportunity to meet her, but, through Phil, I feel as though I knew her. And I hope to remember Libby's attitude as an example to myself.

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

How sad. I'm sorry to hear about Libby. Sounds like she was very special and did a lot to help the people around her deal with what was going to happen. Its never easy though. I'm sorry.

4:37 PM  
Blogger Cami said...

Sounds like she really was a wonderful lady. I admire her bravery at such a hard time. Very sad yet it's people like Libby that inspire us.

8:06 PM  
Blogger Dawn said...

My thoughts are with Phil and his family...and you to sweetie. {hugs}

11:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home