The Princess Is In

Saturday, February 11, 2006

Mixed Emotions

Ashley talked to us last night and let us know that she wants to move to Georgia to be with the boyfriend. That certainly didn't come as a shock but I do have mixed emotions about it. On one hand, I truly feel that it would be a mistake at this point. It's too soon. Yes, this "relationship" has been going on for six months or more, but it's a long distance relationship. The visits are few and far between. It's not the same as truly dating someone for six months and knowing them. Because of the long-distance aspect, they're constantly in the"honeymoon phase" every time they see each other. And, not to sound unromantic, that's not real life. Just being practical. There are scores of reasons why her moving up there at this point would be a bad idea. Scores. And we shared our thoughts with her while letting her know we were not trying to be negative and "rain on her parade." Nor do we want this fail. We are just trying to be the voice of reason since her lack of age and maturity seem to be behind her decision-making process at this point. To her credit, she did seem to listen. I doubt it will sway her one iota, but we had our say.

All that being said, my feelings of concern over what I am sure is a catastrophe in the making are tinged with a little relief. I have to be honest and say that part of me thinks, "Yes! I will get my life back!" Selfish, I know... but I'm being honest here. It's been over four months now with Ashley living with us and for the most part I think I adjusted very well. And quickly, too. But God knows there are times when I just want things to be the way they were before. The way Robert and I always have been. Just the two of us. I miss that... I really do.

I guess we'll see what happens. She stopped short of saying that this was definite. She just said that she was 'seriously thinking about it.' I'm sure it's more than thinking, though. That was her way of setting the stage for her exit. This is a fait accompli. And I definitely have mixed emotions.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

ahhhhhh the perils of parenthood. Scary.. and this is the part where you get to sit back and wait and hope they listen.. sometimes they do and sometimes you just have to be there to pick up the pieces. My favorite part is years down the road where they come back and say I should have listened to you..lol. I knew you were right but I had to do it anyway. You were right Mom.. ahhhh my favoirte words! This is NOT the easiet job in the world. You aren't selfish in any way at all. Theres nothing wrong with wanting what you have had to give up and realizing you want it back! They all get their hearts broke at least once..and they break ours at the same time.

8:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home